Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism 2020 Reporting Fellows Brett Forrest and Brian Ryu produced Victoria’s Foil, a short documentary following 22-year-old fencer Victoria Isaacson. Upon discovering she has a degenerative disease, Victoria turns her love of fencing to an all out effort to become a Paralympic fencer. When the COVID-19 pandemic threatens her opportunity to compete, Victoria comes up with a new plan to shape a future much different from the one she planned.
Forrest and Ryu’s award-winning film has been screened on PBS stations across the country.
Awards and screenings for Victoria’s Foil are listed below:
- Gold Award at the 2020 Spotlight Documentary Film Awards
- Winner in the online/digital feature videography category at the 2020 SPJ Mark of Excellence Region 1 Awards
- 45th Boston/New England Emmy Award nominee
- Connecticut Public Television
- PBS Reno on August 29th.
- PBS Rocky Mountains
- PBS online
- New Haven International Film Festival
- Houston International Sports Film Festival
- Dallas Independent Film Festival
- Venice Shorts Festival
Congratulations to Brett Forrest and Brian Ryu!
[This post was updated on May 23, 2022.]