Women and girls are disproportionately affected by global crises and face discrimation and violence worldwide. In the fight against the disparities they endure, they show resilience, strength, and leadership.
The Gender Equality Grant is designed to help journalists take to a new level the reporting on issues related to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
We value stories that elevate the voices of communities not often represented in the media, stories of resilience, and projects that tackle systemic issues of gender equality using data and investigative reporting. For inspiration, here are a few recent projects we supported:
- Women on the Move (The Everyday Projects)
- Immigrant Women at the Front of COVID-19 Resistance in Buenos Aires (Anita Pouchard Serra)
- Fighting Caste, Patriarchy, Climate and the Pandemic One Crop at a Time (Karthikeyan Hemalatha)
- Siona: Amazon’s Defenders Under Threat (Tom Laffay)
- 'No Choice but to Do It': How Women are Criminalized for Surviving (Justine van der Leun)
- Climate Change Pushes Girls in Northern Kenya Back to Early Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation (Neha Wadekar and Will Swanson)
- ‘Buzz of a Mosquito… But With the Sound of Grief’:The Lives of India’s Women Prisoners (Jahnavi Sen)
- Misgendering, Sexual Violence, Harassment: What it is to be a Transgender Person in an Indian Prison (Sukanya Shantha)
Here are three things you need for your application:
- A description of the proposed project in no more than 250 words.
- A preliminary budget estimate, including a basic breakdown of costs.
- A compelling distribution plan.
We aim to support teams that reflect the communities they report on. We hope the Gender Equality Grant can help our partner organizations advance their diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and commitments.
We accept grant proposals on a rolling basis.
Please refer to Tips for Writing a Successful Pulitzer Center Grant Proposal for more information on how to apply.
The Gender Equality Grant is supported by a partnership with PIMCO, which provides funding support for reporting projects, education and outreach, and community engagement on issues related to gender equality and the economic empowerment of girls and women.