In a journalistic exploration of disinformation, deception, and conspiracy theory in the sciences, OpenMind Magazine, in partnership with Scientific American, will explore the cognitive drivers of truth decay today. Among the elements of this project, we include: six in-depth OpenMind reported features on science misinformation centering on topics around misinformation and misconceptions in neuroscience and psychology, six TikTok videos on science misinformation developed collaboratively with neuroscientist Ben Rein of Stanford University, and six podcasts with accompanying short-form essays hosted by Corey Powell and produced by Rob Frederick (formerly of AAAS/Science Magazine.)
Topics from a diverse group of contributors include:
- The truth behind the “Dunning Krueger” effect
- Air pollution and the hidden cognitive epidemic.
- The moral imagination: How people convince themselves to accept ideas and actions that seem to go against their moral principles.
- Implicit bias as a public health emergency.
- The science myths that put trans people at risk.
- Digital psychotherapy in the age of OpenAI.