News outlets eligible for participation in Bringing Stories Home include all those serving local U.S. communities. The Pulitzer Center is already actively working with partner outlets in many cities, from Milwaukee to Louisville to Tucson to St. Louis. Bringing Stories Home represents a major investment in local news, providing resources to cover stories that might not otherwise get told.
You decide what underreported stories your community needs to engage with, and we support that reporting and champion it, including creating educational materials and organizing events to expand the reach of your stories and the conversation about them.
We value data, investigative, and accountability journalism projects that tackle systemic issues and hold to account powerful local figures. For inspiration, here are a few recent stories we supported through the Bringing Stories Home initiative:
- ‘They Think Workers Are Like Dogs.’ How Pork Plant Execs Sacrificed Safety for Profits (Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting)
- Lawmen Off Limits (Bangor Daily News)
- At What Cost? For Baltimore’s Poorest Families, the Child Support System Exacts a Heavy Price—and It’s Hurting Whole Communities (Baltimore Sun)
- Dairyland in Distress (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Tracking the Vaccine: Eye on Equity in Chicago and Illinois (WBEZ)
Here are three things you need for your application:
- A description of the proposed project in no more than 250 words.
- A preliminary budget estimate, including a basic breakdown of costs.
- A compelling distribution plan.
We aim to support teams that reflect the communities they report on. We hope Bringing Stories Home can help our partner organizations advance their diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and commitments.
We accept grant proposals on a rolling basis
Our editorial team meets regularly to review the proposals we receive. Freelancers are eligible for Bringing Stories Home grants as long as they publish their stories in U.S. local outlets. If you have any questions about the application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Support for Bringing Stories Home is provided in part by an unrestricted endowment gift from the Facebook Journalism Project. Support for reporting projects also comes from the Omidyar Network, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the MacArthur Foundation, Humanity United, and other generous donors to the Pulitzer Center.