We are looking for an experienced and creative HR generalist who can help us attract and retain the talent we need to achieve our mission and support our team's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in all aspects of our work.
Our amazing staff is currently located in greater Washington DC, Bogor, Chicago, Houston, Kinshasa, Seoul, and Sao Paulo. During the recent Covid-19 pandemic we pivoted to respond to the special reporting needs of the pandemic, and to deliver additional resources and virtual events for students, educators and the general public.
The Human Resources Manager will report to the Director of Finance & Administration and work closely with all our program teams and leadership. Key projects on the short term horizon are the modernization of our employee manual, implementing effective performance management systems, and ongoing support for the organization's DEI Initiative re-launched in 2017.
We are looking for someone who is flexible, energetic and able to support the organization during a period of growth and change. Strong candidates will be exceptional HR leaders with experience administering HR systems, supporting employee engagement, and leading strategic initiatives.
- To support the acquisition and retention of dedicated and talented employees who can deliver our mission of raising awareness of underreported global issues.
- To lead efforts to incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion in our organizational systems, policies, programs, and services.
- To provide critical recommendations to the leadership team about key policies and procedures during a period of organizational growth and change.
- To administer personnel operations, including but not limited to bi-monthly payroll and benefits administration.
- This team member should also be an effective trainer and peer leader who can support internal training efforts and identify professional development programs and that allow our staff to reach their full potential.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Talent Acquisition and Retention
- Lead a team in a major review and revision of our employee manual designed to recognize the new virtual workspace, revise our benefits as needed to attract and retain a diverse staff, recognize generational differences, clearly document policies and procedures, and outline employee responsibilities.
- Develop and implement an annual review process for the employee manual to ensure staff is aware of rights and responsibilities.
DEI Initiative - Organizational Team Lead
The Human Resources Manager serves as advisor and resource person for management and staff in the following commitments to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Ensure that policies and practices at the organizational level, internal and external, reflect our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with clear systems for accountability and feedback.
- Help to ensure our workplace environment, staff, and partners reflect our commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Cultivate and maintain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment by identifying appropriate training and professional development opportunities for staff.
Human Resources Administrative Support
- For new hires, run a smooth onboarding process that includes communicating intake document requirements, email set-up, coordinating the training schedule, and establishing physical and virtual office space requirements by day 1.
- Provide training for office and virtual facilities
- Coordinate with our outsourced accounting firm to set-up and maintain payroll.
- Provide data entry for the various benefit management systems throughout the employee life cycle. Platforms include but are not limited to BDG, DC HealthLink, GDI, Vanguard/Newport, WMATA.
- Work with the Director of Finance & Administration and the leadership team to evaluate annual benefits renewal proposals, balancing staff acquisition and retention needs and the cost to the organization.
- Commitment to the organization's mission and to supporting full employee engagement
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively across cultures, geographies/time zones, and programs using all communication platforms
- Hands on experience with a payroll processing system, and benefit administration platforms
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely to a wide range of internal and external audiences
- High standards of confidentiality, sound judgment, discretion and diplomacy.
- Strong planning, organizational, problem solving, project management, and time management skills
- Flexibility, the ability to multitask, and the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google suite, and a willingness to learn new systems as we shift to a more flexible work environment
- At least 5 years of work experience in Human Resources
- A bachelor's degree is an advantage, OR a high school diploma and a suitable combination of training and experience.
- A proven track record in helping small organizations meet growth, evolution, and DEI goals OR experience with small and nimble organizations experiencing growth and working toward DEI goals.
- Skill and enthusiasm for coaching colleagues in supervising others and supporting effective performance management systems.
- Experience applying creativity and analytical skills to support mission-driven organizations in meeting goals and setting an example for peer institutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Collegial disposition and sense of humor
- Additional language skills are a plus
Please note that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Pulitzer Center is currently working remotely. Stable high-speed internet access and a laptop or desktop computer with webcam and microphone would be helpful in the early days of this position. We anticipate returning to the office at least part of the work week once Washington, D.C. safely reopens although employees will have some flexibility during the transition.
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring. Read our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement.
Please submit your application using this Submittable form.
The application will ask you to enter a personal statement of interest (up to 500 words), upload a current resume/CV, provide an optional link to your bio or LinkedIn profile, and share contact information for 3 references. There are a few other short answer questions.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants. Last day to apply is August 23, 2020.