Update 3/2/16: This position has been filled. We are no longer accepting applications.
Founded in 2006, the Pulitzer Center promotes in-depth engagement with global affairs through its sponsorship of quality international journalism across all media platforms and an innovative program of outreach and education.
The Center is celebrating its ten-year anniversary this year with a series of high-level events planned, a fundraising campaign, new resources, including a special Lesson Builder tool, and a website redesign. We are seeking a Director of Communications to help devise and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy.
For more information, please visit www.pulitzercenter.org
2015 annual report: https://pulitzercenter.atavist.com/2015annualreport
Reporting to the Executive and Managing Directors, the Communications Director will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages to consistently articulate the Pulitzer Center's mission.
The Director of Communications will work closely with senior staff within the organization on developing communication strategies, and managing their implementation, with the support of junior staff and interns.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the Center's audiences in collaboration with the Pulitzer Center team and constituents
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, Pulitzer Center's website, social media channels including facebook, twitter, tumblr, youtube, and others.
- Oversee website administration and development by working with the Center's external web development team, including the management of a major redesign of the Center's website
- Coordinate webpage and social media maintenance—ensuring that workflow, SEO, branding, and communications are in sync
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time, including newsletter, social media, and web analytics
- Help devise strategies for the promotion of events, marketing of e-books, the Lesson Builder tool, and educational partnerships
- Identify and coordinate speaking opportunities for Pulitzer Center staff at key conferences and events
The Pulitzer Center is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has at least five years of communications experience, ideally in an "in-house" leadership role, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership skills with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Knowledge of, and ongoing interest in, online trends and new platforms for engagement as well as global affairs
- Respect for the highest quality journalism and an understanding of standards and ethics in the journalism space
- Mission-driven approach to the work, ready to innovate and adapt, as needed
Commensurate with experience, competitive with similar non-profit organizations. Excellent benefits, a collegial work environment, and office location just off Dupont Circle in Washington, DC.
Deadline February 15th But please note we are looking to fill the position as soon as possible.
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Center is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where the individual differences among us, whether in terms of race, religion, color, age, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, physical challenge, or marital or family status, are (i) understood, respected and appreciated, (ii) recognized as a source of strength and (iii) valued as qualities that enrich the environment in which we work.