Deadline extended to October 28
Ten years ago the Pulitzer Center opened its doors, a one-person shop with a donated desk, modest seed funding, and high ambitions: to fill gaps in reporting and inspire a new generation of journalists to cover the big global issues that affect us all.
We've come a long way—building a talented staff, supporting hundreds of journalists, forging partnerships with strong news-media organizations and with educational institutions across the globe.
We are now seeking an entrepreneurial, creative, and high-energy Campaign Director to provide day-to-day leadership and support for a five-year $50 million campaign.
This role is both strategic and operational—providing critical support to build the Center's major donor constituency. The role entails working collaboratively with the Pulitzer Center's leadership team, Board members, and close friends to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for raising awareness of critical global issues through journalism and education—and who has the energy and experience to help us achieve our campaign goals. You will have the opportunity to work with some of the world's most talented journalists and educators, and a deeply committed, hardworking, and fun team.
We believe public-interest journalism is a public good. We invite you to help us guarantee that we can continue to advance a deeper more nuanced understanding of the world around us—helping inform the public, policy-makers, and the next generation, on the defining challenges of our time.
For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org.
The responsibilities of the Campaign Director will include, but are not limited to:
• Work closely with Pulitzer Center leadership team to create strategies to cultivate, brief and solicit prospective donors
• Manage the pipeline of prospective donors to ensure timely activity and progress toward campaign goals and benchmarks
• Identify new prospective donors within and external to the Center's network
• Staff the key frontline fundraisers to proactively engage their respective prospect portfolios
• Conduct research and dedicated prospecting to identify potential new donors to the Center
• Be responsible for tracking the campaign goals, budget, and expenditure records
• Manage and execute all aspects of individual giving strategies including research, drafting compelling appeals, pulling lists and reports, tracking progress, mailings
• Coordinate all campaign meetings and events including creation of presentation and support materials (briefing memos, donor research, draft follow-up letters, meeting materials) and executing follow-up
• Manage campaign materials, donor recognition and stewardship policies and procedures for the campaign
• Draft donor acknowledgement letters
• Prepare quarterly campaign progress reports and periodic updates (including numerical analyses) for Pulitzer Center leadership team and trustees
• Track all campaign activity on SalesForce
Leadership and Volunteer Management
• Work closely with Center leaders to review prospecting efforts to consistently identify new points of contact to prospective donors
• Support the leadership on their outreach to new prospective donors by drafting introductory e-mails, call sheets, and talking points
• Collaborate with Pulitzer Center leadership and Board members to design and execute special events and other activities for donor cultivation
• Plan the solicitation of major donors and work with Board members on cultivation strategies, preparation for donor visits and all necessary follow-up
• Guide and train staff and volunteer solicitors to carry out solicitation strategies
• Develop volunteer training materials for all phases of the campaign
• Serve as the campaign liaison for volunteers and assist with recruitment and training of new campaign volunteers
• Prepare campaign-related meeting agendas, letters to current and prospective donors, individualized proposals, briefing memos, remarks for Pulitzer Center leadership for various cultivation events, and other preparatory or follow-up materials to support staff, trustees and other key volunteers
• Oversee the creation of campaign communication tools
• Refine and update the campaign Case Statement as needed
Education Background, Skills and Work Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• A Bachelor's degree
• Five or more years of professional experience in development (ideally with major gifts), education, non-profit management, or a related field
• A passion for global issues and a commitment to the Pulitzer Center's mission
• A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• The ability to motivate and work effectively with prominent volunteers and trustees, as well as exemplary communication, writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities without compromising quality
• The ability to serve as a strategic thinker and leader, capable of providing positive and proactive solutions to challenges and opportunities
• The ability to work independently and to have an open and collaborative management style, characteristic of a team player
• Creativity and analytical skills
• Excellent computer skills including in Microsoft Office programs and SalesForce
• Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, the Pulitzer Center offers a comprehensive benefits package.
• The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring.
Please e-mail your resume and written statement to [email protected], by October 28, 2016 and write 'Campaign Director' in the e-mail subject line.
Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and the Pulitzer Center's mission. In addition to a commitment to the mission, please include how your experience positions you to take on an entrepreneurial and leadership role in driving the Center's major donor activity. Your statement should be succinct, professional, and clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the responsibilities of the position.
Job Title: Campaign Director
Status: Full Time
Start Date: November 2016