For the first time, a federal court is requiring the United States military to allow American and foreign doctors to assess a mentally ill prisoner at Guantánamo Bay.
The New York Times
Testimony at Guantánamo Bay shows that C.I.A. black sites, where some detainees were tortured, amounted to test labs for unproven techniques, with shifting rules shaping operations.
The defendant was first charged in 2011 in a case that has been plagued by years of delays.
The court will allow the lawyer to withdraw gradually from the case for health reasons while the Pentagon finds another death penalty expert.
At issue is a defense lawyer’s request to leave the case for health reasons. In court, the prosecutor opposed the move, saying there is no “medical emergency.”
The trial had been scheduled to start next January but is likely to be delayed by the departure of James P. Harrington, who represents Ramzi bin al-Shibh, one of the five defendants.
The judge has set next January to begin jury selection in the long-awaited trial of five men accused of plotting the terrorist attacks. But big logistical challenges remain.
The island has a long history of encouraging residents to identify as white, but there are growing efforts to raise awareness about racism.
Dr. James E. Mitchell said in court at Guantánamo Bay that the alleged leader of the Sept. 11 plot, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, was fine after 183 rounds of waterboarding.
In a hearing at Guantánamo Bay, an architect of the C.I.A. interrogation program said he told the accused mastermind of the 9/11 attacks: “I will cut your son’s throat.”
The hearings have showed the role of medical professionals, including keeping count during waterboarding sessions, in the agency black sites where prisoners were tortured.
A military judge said he would decide before the trial of five men accused of plotting the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks whether their treatment in C.I.A. prisons amounted to torture.