The Pulitzer Center seeks Outreach and Communications interns to join our team in June 2021 for a 12-month term ending in June 2022. Interns are an important part of the Pulitzer Center team, working to increase the reach of our reporting projects and expand the debate around the international issues we cover.
Our interns are in the thick of it all: posting content, getting the word out on events, brainstorming ways to broaden the reach of the journalists’ work, and more. Although this is not a reporting internship, many Pulitzer Center interns have gone on to careers at news organizations such as Report for America, Politico, National Geographic, Foreign Policy, The Intercept, The New York Times, and CBS News, among others.
The Pulitzer Center is an award-winning non-profit journalism organization based in the heart of Washington, D.C. We support journalists to report on systemic global issues critically important to our understanding of the world but often ignored by mainstream media. We work to place their stories in high-end outlets, including The New York Times, PBS NewsHour, PRI’s The World, National Geographic, and NPR.
We also create innovative educational programs to connect students, teachers, and the public with the print reporters, photographers, filmmakers, radio documentarians, and multimedia journalists who work with us around the world.
- Build and post stories from our journalist grantees for our newly redesigned website
- Assist with event coordination and participate in events and webinars such as our long-running Talks @ Pulitzer series, film festivals, and gallery exhibitions that further promote the work of Pulitzer Center journalist grantees and expand the public's awareness of global affairs
- Research and write “Behind the Story” profiles about our journalist grantees
- Write and post blogs’ updates related to reporting content, events, and news about the Pulitzer Center
- Support production of multimedia and related media assets of journalists' projects
- Contribute to and maintain our online profiles, social networking sites and channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube)
- Assist in design and distribution of event flyers and promotional materials
- Additional responsibilities as required
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A passion for news, with a demonstrated interest in, and familiarity with, current international affairs
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Strong writing and editing skills; familiarity with AP Style
- Experience using a content management system such as Drupal or Wordpress
- Creativity and enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently, along with comfort in a remote work environment
Not required, but desirable skills:
- Language proficiency other than English
- Graphic design
- Familiarity with HTML
- Video and/or audio production and editing
- Adobe Creative Cloud expertise, with experience in at least one of the following applications: Premiere, Photoshop, and InDesign
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring. See our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement for details.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Pulitzer Center is currently working remotely. Candidates should have stable high-speed internet access and a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone. We anticipate returning to the office at least part of the work week once Washington, D.C., safely reopens.
Interns receive a $2,600 stipend per month.
The application will ask you to enter a personal statement of interest (up to 500 words), upload a current resume/CV, provide a link to your bio or LinkedIn profile, and share contact information for three references. Finally, you will be asked to provide three samples of your work, either as links or as a PDF upload. There are a few other short answer questions. Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and how you think that experience can help advance the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
If you have any difficulties with the application form, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants. Last day to apply is March 8, 2021.
Job Title: Outreach and Communications Intern
Status: Full time, some weekend and evening work may be required
Start Date: June 1, 2021
Location: Remote, but with the possibility of working at our headquarters in Washington, D.C., when the city reopens.