The Pulitzer Center is seeking an Outreach Coordinator in the Amazon region to support the reach and efficacy of our international climate and rainforest programs. As a part of the rainforest outreach and education team, this position will work to connect two main Pulitzer Center initiatives on the rainforest regions: The Rainforest Journalism Fund (RJF) and the Rainforest Investigations Network (RIN). Together they are helping journalists to produce in-depth quality content about environmental crime, threats faced by the Indigenous peoples, and the investigation of supply chains, among other key underreported topics.
The Pulitzer Center is a nonprofit organization that supports the development of independent, quality journalism worldwide with an ambitious network of journalism and educational partnerships. We support more than 150 reporting projects a year in partnership with dozens of media outlets worldwide. We also support in-depth engagement with reporting through collaborations with a vast network of nonprofit organizations and outreach partners, hundreds of secondary and middle schools, and a Campus Consortium network of 35-plus universities, community colleges, and historically Black colleges and universities. With this position, we seek to expand our network of public outreach partners internationally, with a specific focus on the Amazon region.
The Outreach Coordinator will be charged with developing sustained relationships with cultural, social and media institutions within the region. The goal is to leverage RIN and RJF reporting to reach new and strategic audiences, mainly in the countries that share the Amazon basin. The coordinator will help to implement effective and culturally appropriate outreach programs inspired by the Pulitzer Center model. The coordinator will help ensure broad impact beyond initial publication/broadcast, extending the reach of climate and rainforest journalism projects, placing them in other public fora, and modeling innovative ways to give extended legs to good reporting and greater traction with the audiences we seek to reach. Programs and activities may include:
- Development of partnerships with communication, civil, and media organizations to bring the climate and rainforest journalism content to new fora and discussions
- Plan for and organize social and cultural events with different communications and environmental stakeholders to promote Pulitzer Center-supported journalism projects
- Create, operationalize and promote maintenance of the partner network, coordinating events and projects to build lasting relationships, connecting them and facilitating their collaborations with the Rainforest Pulitzer Center programs
- Create and conduct environmental journalism capacity building training for journalism students and local media journalists and outlets
- Establish and coordinate a network of allies, artists, and influencers connecting them with Pulitzer Center stories and journalists
- Prepare and support digital and in-person creative communication initiatives, media strategies, and plans to promote the importance of protecting tropical forests.
- Coordinating regional program administration: building and maintaining records of outreach contacts and programs, coordinating payments to consultants and outreach partners, and serving as the first point of contact for the regional outreach email
- Contributing to program evaluation: coordinating timely impact survey distribution to outreach partners
- Apply a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens to all strategy development and implementation
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has strong program coordination and communication skills, and is passionate about our mission of cultivating a more curious, informed, empathetic, and engaged public by connecting key and strategic audiences with underreported global news stories and the journalists who cover them.
- Strong organization, communication, and program coordination skills
- Comfort in establishing partnerships with communication, civil and media organizations
- Experience in producing, organizing, and facilitating social and cultural events for different audiences in-person and online on Zoom and other webinar platforms
- Established professional network in the region
- Familiarity with the scientific, environmental, social, legal, political, and commercial forces at play in deforestation and climate change
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (read more about how the Pulitzer Center defines these terms here)
- Experience supporting program evaluation
- Experience with influencers and creative strategic communications
- At least 5-10 years work experience
- Proficiency in oral and written English
- Fluent in Portuguese and Spanish
- Passion for creating networks, community building, and for the Pulitzer Center’s mission
- Experience working with public relations, marketing, and cultural production initiatives intersecting with communication and journalism is a plus
Salary and benefits
This position will require a commitment of on average 20-30 hours per week, with fluctuations depending on the stage of the initiative. Compensation will be commensurate with the time required and relevant experience.
How to Apply
Please apply before midnight on Wednesday, December 15, 2021, using this form. The form asks you to upload a resume, provide a personal statement of interest (no more than 500 words), and answer three short questions related to your qualifications for the position. The form also requires you to provide contact information for three references. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the deadline.
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Center is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where the individual differences among us, whether in terms of race, religion, color, age, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, physical challenge, or marital or family status, are (i) understood, respected, and appreciated, (ii) recognized as a source of strength, and (iii) valued as qualities that enrich the environment in which we work. See our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement for details. For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org.