Common Core Standard:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.9-10.3: Analyze how the author unfolds an analysis or series of ideas or events, including the order in which the points are made, how they are introduced and developed, and the connections that are drawn between them.
You will be able to analyze how an author unfolds the events leading to the current relationship between Israel and Uganda in order to create a resource that visualizes the history of the relationship between the two countries.
1. Make a list of qualities you think a good leader possesses.
2. Make a list of qualities that you think signify a bad leader. (In your community? In your country?)
3. Think about why you, or your country, might still support someone that engages in the behavior on your second list. Write out a list of reasons.
Introducing the Lesson:
Today's lesson explores the events that have connected Uganda and Israel for decades. As you read the article "Idi Amin's Israeli Connection" by Helen Epstein, pay attention to how the author introduces relationships between countries.
Introducing the Resource:
Read the article attached and answer the accompanying questions. Be prepared to discuss your responses with your classmates.
Consider the following as you read:
1. In what order does the author choose to introduce new information?
2. When and how does the author introduce how different countries connect to Israel's relationship to Uganda?
3. What do you think is the author's purpose for writing this article? How do you know?
1. Create a visualization (table, chart) that tracks Uganda's relationship with different countries over time. Find a way to visualize how Uganda's relationship to Israel also reflects the roles that other countries played in that relationship.
2. Research the current relationship between Uganda and Israel. Using details from this article, write a short essay that explains how the events described in the article have led to the current relationship between Israel and Uganda. Consider the following as you research and write: What is the current relationship between your country and Uganda? How has your country been involved in the relationship between Uganda and Israel? How might the relationship between those two countries connect to you and your community?
The following lesson plan can be used to explore the article "Idi Amin's Israeli Connection" by Helen Epstein. The lesson is written to be explored independently but can be adapted to include discussion and group work.